Sunday, March 15, 2009

Communication related jobs….not badly affected after all

So in light of the current recession, I thought it would be a good idea to scope out the job market and see what my prospects are, especially seeing as I will be graduating this year. Being bomarded with news about hiring freezes and job losses are certainly not a comforting thought. For anyone planning to pursue post graduate studies, you are well aware that it is not cheap. I plan on doing my MBA, and the associated costs are extremely steep, especially when planning to attend a reputable university.

So, I took it upon myself to conduct some research of my own, and I hope that this provides a ray of hope for those in a similar position. Over the course of the last few months I have taken the time to make appointments with HR managers from a wide spectrum of communication related fields.To name a few, I met with the recruiters from Maclaren and McCann (ad agency), National( pr agency),Argyle Communications (pr agency) as well as a close friend who works at cosette (ad agency) and to my surprise things aren’t as bad as they appear.

In fact, the recruiter for National mentioned that the area of PR and communications as a whole is probably not as badly affected as other areas, due the need for such services in a troubled economy, so that customers and the public can be informed.

Meeting with people who had the inside information about the job situation definitely put a positive spin on things, and I would highly recommend making appointments to meet with ppl in your area of interest. I didn’t think anyone would want to meet at first, but it seemed as though these guys were just waiting to talk….. besides it’s a well known fact that people love to talk about themselves …..

Well, that’s about it for now…I am just glad to know that things aren’t as bad as they may appear to be….

-annika

No comments: